This delicious caramel icing is made with every day kitchen staples and is super easy to make! It beats store bought icing ANY day!
This Quick Caramel Icing is so delicious and it’s easy enough that even an inexperienced cook can make it. We love it with chocolate cake and it also goes perfectly with Gingerbread Cake, a yummy winter dessert.
If you are worried about not being able to eat a whole cake, you can easily half the recipe. Or just make a whole cake and freeze part of it. Cake is something that freezes really well and it’s always handy to have things like that in the freezer!
QUICK CARAMEL ICING
- ½ c. butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. milk
- 2 c. sifted powdered sugar
- Melt butter and brown sugar together on low heat. Bring to boil and boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add milk and heat just until boiling again. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Mix in powdered sugar until smooth. (I find using a whisk or hand mixer really helps to get it nice and smooth.
- The icing will be pretty runny initially, but it will quickly start to firm up.
- This makes plenty for a 9×13 cake- in fact you might not even want to use it all if you don’t like lots of icing.